Friday, March 12, 2010

Assessing My Writing

In my close Analysis paper of Into the wild, I chose to make an analysis on three epigraphs that Chris highlighted in novels he brought on his journey. My purpose for choosing these epigraphs was to show the reader the literature Chris admired, and provide an explanation to why Chris decided to isolate himself and go into the wild. I think that my paper would be accessed as a middle. In my paper I first quoted the epigraph, then went on to explain what happened in the chapter, and how Krakauer set up his goal using the epigraph. I don't think I really addressed the meaning of the actual epigraph itself. In my paper I used several sources to explain the background of the authors of the epigraphs, and their connection to Chris. I think this is a strong quality in my paper. However, I think my paper could be stronger if I make sure to use the specific words from the epigraph and make a deeper analysis of their meaning. I also think I could make my paper stronger by making sure my points are clear, and I am not forcing the reader to read between the lines.

1 comment:

  1. I think you have a great purpose and it sounds like a good explanation of why Chris decided to isolate himself and go into the wild. This is a good argument because there are some people, like myself, who think Chris was foolish to isolate himself in the wild. I like how you described what happened in the chapters of the epigraphs. When I was writing my close reading paper, I definitely did not do that at all but i can see how it can help the reader understand what is happening in the novel. However, maybe this could be limited because the purpose of this essay is to close read these three epigraphs. In your essay you achieved something that I did not which was to describe the background of the authors of each epigraph. This is definitely a must because some people do not have any idea who the authors are which in my essay is a problem. However, I believe the most important piece of the essay is to analyze the meaning of the epigraph by picking it part piece by piece. This will provide a deeper analysis and if properly executed will get the reader to agree with your argument or at least a better understanding of Chris McCandless. I'm sure we all could do better in this department.

    ReplyDelete