Friday, February 19, 2010

Taylor Swift

After reading the article on Taylor Swift last week I feel that my opinion of her and her music has not changed. I really like Taylor Swift both as a person and as an artist. I know that her music is simple, sweet, and "tired", but that's what I like about it. Anyone who thinks they could do better than Taylor is just kidding themselves. Taylor was not handed a music career on a silver platter. Sure, she came from a wealthy family that supported her, but she worked very hard to get to where she is today. She made something out of herself just like we all are trying to do.
I like Taylor's music because it reminds me of old times back in high school, and about all of the fun and innocent times I had with my friends. I like remembering these things, and thus I like Taylor's music. When music creates memories or triggers emotion in a person, it doesn't matter who the artist is or the level of aristry of the musician. Music is about passion and allowing yourself to connect with others through a common emotion. I think Taylor, Lady Gaga and Beyonce equally do this well.
As far as the charts I think they definitely added to the argument of the author. It was a very clever strategy to incorporate imagery to support the point of view. It made it almost impossible for the reader to overlook. The charts definitely got my attention, and I can honestly say when I heard a Taylor Swift song after seeing the chart I did start counting the Trucks and the Tears...

3 comments:

  1. I agree that even though Taylor Swift writes about simple things, those songs are incredibly popular and that's what I like about her. I like that she actually writes her own songs too, she doesn't just sing what others wrote for her. She obviously feels passionate about her music which is why I think a lot of girls, like myself, enjoy her music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We basically have the complete opposite view about Taylor Swift. I personally feel she is not experienced enough and has a shelter from reality because all she writes is about fantasies. I believe there are people out there who can be better than Taylor because her songs are so simple anyone can do what Taylor does. Yeah every artist is different and they all have their own unique qualities which I'm sure Taylor Swift possess. I do listen to Taylor Swift and can sing along, but I just don't think she is Grammy worthy. At least, not yet. Maybe when she branches out and writes different songs instead of songs that song similar to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i totally agree. taylor swift will always be the cute singer with the great look a and the great voice. she did come from a wealthy family but like you said, she worked very hard to get where she is today. Her music reminds me too of the middle school days when we were all young. our views on the subject are very similar

    ReplyDelete