Friday, February 5, 2010

Chris McCandless


I don't believe my opinion of Chris has changed since writing my essay, or after being 2/3 of the way through the novel. I am a fairly stubborn person and when I make a judgment about something I tend to stick with it. I truly believe, or rather want to believe that Chris was a good person, whose intentions were not to die in the wild. Chris was a romantic who had dreams and ambitions different than his peers. So who is to say that he was crazy to follow them, when we ourselves are following our own dreams? I think Chris was different, which is why no one really knows the reasoning behind his actions. Nevertheless I think for now I will always see Chris in a positive light-- as someone to be admired for his bravery, determination, and goals. Perhaps if I read this novel again when I am older, or even as we begin to analyze it more in class, my opinion will change.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree, what some individuals don't realize is that Chris was not like most Americans, he was very unique. Most people would not go out and did what he did. The important thing to do now is to respect him for being such an individual and dreamer, even if not everyone would do what he did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can understand that Chris is not like most people and that he was following his dreams but the way he went about his dream did not seem logical to me. I believe that everyone should be able to follow their dreams but someone should not deny help to achieve their goal. There are friendly people out there who want to help. I do not think Chris was a negative person, just someone I am not used to be which does make him different from everyone else. I think he was just a stubborn person who did not want help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. chris was very different from his peers. he thought way to much. he read very intense literature, which made him think way to much. i think the things he read made him different from his peers. i believe chris was following his dreams like you said, maybe Chris had these dreams for a long time but he couldn't tell anyone because he didn't want his dreams to fail. with his parents being so materialistic, he probably didn't get out much. his parents were always working; trying the bring in all the money they could.

    ReplyDelete